Ir al contenido principal

Real and unreal conditionals, Modals and position of if-clauses

 


1. Structure of if-clauses


If-clauses can be clause-initial (1.), clause-medial (2.) as well as clause-final (3.).

  1. If you like, we can watch a film.
  2. We, if you like, can watch a film.
  3. We can watch a film if you like.


2. Types

Aside from the typical type I, II, III structure, conditionals can be divided into two categories:
real and unreal conditionals.


2.1. Real condition

Conditional sentencetype
If I have money, I spend it.Present Real Conditional – type I
If I had money, I spent it.Past Real Conditional – type I
If I have money, I will/am going to spend it.Future Real Conditional – type I

2.2. Unreal condition

Conditional sentenceExplanationtype
If I had had money, I would have spent it. Past unreal Conditional – type III
If I had money, I would spend it.I think about spending the money TODAY.Present unreal Conditional – type II
If I had money, I would spend it.I think about spending the money NEXT WEEK.Future unreal Conditional – type II


3. Modal verbs


Main clauses with real conditional tenses can have modal verbs.


  • If I have money, I can spend it.

You can use could and might instead of would in unreal conditional clauses.

  • If I had money, I could spend it. → (I would be able to spend it.)
  • If I had money, I might spend it. → (I would possibly spend it.)

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Will y won’t: How to use the simple future

  Do you have doubts about the simple future and the use of will and won't? In this blog we will help you, explaining, step by step and with examples, what the simple future is and when it is used. Keep reading and you will have no doubts! What is the simple future? The simple future indicates actions that will occur in the future. The modal verbs of the simple future are will, shall, and be going to, and they have different forms depending on whether they are: In affirmative: -will -shall -Be going to   In negative: -Will not or won't -Shall not -Be not going to   In interrogative: -will -shall -Be going to When is the simple future used? The simple future is used in the following cases  Actions decided at the moment - I am hungry. I’m going to eat an apple.  – Tengo hambre. Voy a comerme una manzana. - I’m out of vegetables, I’ll (I will) go shopping.  – Ya no me quedan verduras, iré a comprar. Actions of the future, not planned - I think it will rain lat...